We have a child going into braces shortly. The bill for that will be $5,900. with our insurance only covering about $1,500.00. It is time to get tenacious about saving in even the little things. With foresight and forethought I am hoping to tack the oncoming holiday season with a very frugal mindset. I think each frugal feat I pull off I will document, similiar to a feather in my cap. I am hoping to encourage myself this way and spur myself on.
Would you like to join me? If so, leave your list of frugal feats for all to see in the comments, or if you wrote a blog post about it leave your link. There are quite a few blogs who do a link up, such as, The Shabby Nest. Brandy also does a weekly list too, find her at The Prudent Homemaker.
A WEEK OF FRUGAL FEATS:
- Used lettuce and tomatoes from the garden, homemade bread and made two lunch/dinners of BLT's. Very cheap meals.
- Sewed a zippered pouch from fabric in my stash for a gift and filled it with cotton balls, q-tips and some free samples from Crabtree & Evelyn.
- Made a necklace for my sister's birthday. Already had the supplies. Cost about $5.00.
- Saved some rain water to water the garden with.
- Bathed all three dogs myself. Saved almost $180.00
- Used the library for new books I wanted. Saved about $40.00. This offers me the option of perusing and deciding if the book is worth buying.
- Watched free movie on hulu.
- Bought yarn at 50% off so I can make two nordic ski hats for Christmas gifts for under $12.00.
- Was able to hang out all the wash so the dryer wasn't used at all!
- Turned off the computer a lot and used my iPhone for most internet stuff.
- Negotiated with my cable company who also provides my phone service for a lower rate on my landline. Saved 50% a month off that bill for one year!
- Used a coupon for a free 8X10 photo at Walgreens and coordinated the pickup when I was already going that way to shop.
- Downloaded this free graphic of an old bird lithograph and will print one for myself and one for a gift for Christmas.
- Started some embroidery for my grandaughter's Christmas gift. The fabric, print and embroidery floss all a gift from a friend!
Garden lettuce is just so awesome!
Yarn for two hats that will be Christmas gifts this year.
Have a wonderful weekend, see you back here on Monday friends!